Friday 27 November 2009

What do you do all week?

One of the questions youthworkers get asked the most is, "What do you actually do? Like, how do you spend your time?" Also, I think there is an assumption that I'm in the office all week every week, doing the ambiguous youthwork. No, I am not that lucky. I am in the office one day a week. And if I was to write an agenda of my day it would look like this:
  1. Drink Tea
  2. Staff meeting
  3. Meet with boss
  4. Drink Tea
  5. Evaluate previous youth group session and make recommendations for improving it
  6. Try to plan a trip but realise that there are loads of issues that I need to sort out
  7. Read up on Child Protection Laws and guidance
  8. Realise I need to update Child Protection Policy
  9. Get lunch
  10. Eat lunch
  11. Do odd jobs (this week was completely clean and sort office)
  12. Post a video on my collegue's facebook wall
  13. Eat youth worker lollipops
  14. Perhaps a roadtrip
  15. Drink Tea
  16. Plan that week's youthgroup session
  17. Go to the loo, that tea takes its toll
  18. Perhaps have another meeting with various parties
  19. Have a nervous break-down
  20. Say yes to something I probably don't have time for
Okay, that probably doesn't happen in just one Tuesday, although a lot of it does. I have a lovely white board where I scribble all the things I need to remember.

So there you have it. A day in the life of a youth-worker.

1 comment:

  1. im loving the amount of tea breaks!! i drink soo much tea now you would be soo proud!! we have regular tea breaks i think its a christian work thing!! take care of you THOMAS ASHMEAD.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...