- v 1 Rejoice! In the Lord: not in any human efforts
- v 1-6 Where have we misplaced our confidence? Do we put too much in store in our own abilities, or when we do "nice things" for others?
- v 7-10 Knowing Jesus is where we should put our confidence! Everything else is "rubbish".
- Our righteousness comes from knowing the power of Jesus' resurrection and sharing in his sufferings.
- v 12. We're not perfect. This is quite liberating, but doesn't give us an excuse to rest on our laurels. Paul tells us to press on towards the goal.
- v 13. We can't be stuck in the past! Forget about it. Focus on what is ahead.
- v 14 Our goal is heaven! Verse 20 tells us that we're already citizens of heaven.
- v 18 Paul is deeply distressed about those who reject Jesus and live for their own desires.
Implications for Mosaic
- Put all our confidence and reasons to rejoice in Jesus.
- We need a "heaven-focused" view on life.
- We need to live in a way that reflects we are citizens of heaven
- What things are you rejoicing about at the moment?
- Where do you sometimes misplace your confidence?
- Are you a past/present/future focused person?