Thursday 9 February 2012

Times flies when you're having fun!

Wow. It's 2012. Not only that, but it's February 2012. I hope you've not been worrying that I fell into a ditch only to be found months later by a passing dog-walker. If you have, you can breathe a sigh of relief. If you haven't, you've got a better grasp of reality than I have.

How has 2012 been for you? Good, I hope. Mine has been really good so far (except for a minor glitch in the proceedings, but more on that later). There have been numerous meals, a games evening, a birthday (mine) and a church weekend away.

The Weekend Away

Last weekend was the church House Party. The theme was "Risk It!" and it was looking at what it means to risk things for Jesus. We looked at the parable of the talents and thought about how we should use our gifts and resources rather than bury them in the ground.


Mosaic was also in charge of the evening entertainments, on the Friday and Saturday night. Jimbo ran a "Exilio goes to the dogs" event, which involved watching weird competitions (e.g. cheese rolling and pillow fights on a beam) and choosing the winner. I came second and my housemate, Crawford, won. Saturday night was a quiz/games night, hosted by the mighty Duncan. We each lead a round. My round was a Chinese laundry/ scavenger hunt round, which went well. Unfortunately, some of my youth cheated by sneaking a look at the answers.

We had hot tubs in some of the lodges and, being the crazy, off-the-wall people we are, decided it would be a good idea add shower gel to the water. There were many bubbles.

Birthday
Monday I turned 24. So old. So old. As it was the day after house party I was given a day of rest, which was nice. For the last two years, my birthday was actually at house party and I sort of missed that, but I still spent it with the Mosaic crew. This year, I met up with James at Trago Lounge (followed by an impromptu trip to IKEA) , and then had a curry extravaganza. There was about 16 of us and we ordered take-away Indian and ate it at the Bemroses'. Some of us then hit the town and got absolutely wasted (and by town, I mean one pub, and by wasted, I mean had two drinks). I was in bed before midnight (it would have been sooner but I went to Tesco Express to pick up some milk for breakfast).

The glitch
The Friday before house party, I had an interview for a PGCE. I thought it went pretty well, and was told I'd find out on Monday (being my birthday). Fortunately, I didn't find out on Monday, as it would have ruined my day. I didn't get the place. Today I received a letter saying:
Thank you for attending an interview for a place on our PGCE (Secondary) course. Whilst we are unable to offer you a place on the course at the moment, we have now placed your name on our reserve list.
(If you were wondering, the envelope it arrived in used FSC certified paper. It's always nice to know that your rejection letter was sent with a clear conscience.) Tuesday, afternoon I was a bit miserable. Wednesday, I was fine with it but had to tell everyone I hadn't got the place. When I told people I was okay about it, they mostly tilted their head and gave me a look to say, "he's either trying to be brave, or he's in denial. Poor chap."

I had the lyrics of The Lord's My Shepherd in my head all Wednesday morning, and it was a helpful reminder of God's goodness throughout everything.
The Lord's my shepherd, I'll not want;
He makes me down to lie
In pastures green; he leadeth me
The quiet waters by.

My soul he doth restore again,
And me to walk doth make
Within the paths of righteousness,
E'en for his own name's sake.

Yea, though I walk in death's dark vale,
Yet will I fear no ill:
For thou art with me, and thy rod
And staff me comfort still.

My table thou hast furnished
In presence of my foes;
My head thou dost with oil anoint
And my cup overflows.

Goodness and mercy all my life
Shall surely follow me;
And in God's house for evermore
My dwelling-place shall be.
 Quick Questions
  1. How has 2012 been for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...