Friday 3 June 2011

Tiredness Kills

It's now half-term. In the few weeks running up every school break I, as well as every youth-worker and employee of the education sector, experience half-term fatigue. School staff rooms become an insomnia support group and all you can think about it your next dose of caffeine.

I don't know what you do when you're tired to relax and rejuvenate. I generally sleep obscene amounts and mess up my sleep pattern or stare blankly at a laptop screen expecting to somehow give me more energy. It's no wonder that I don't actually feel refreshed after doing this. So where should we find our rest.

In Psalm 62, David tells us where he gets his rest from: "Truly my rest comes from God; my salvation comes from him". In verse 5 he reiterates it by saying, "Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him." Rest, salvation and hope are all linked in these verses, and they all have the same source.

This rest is not just curling up to a good movie or an afternoon nap. The Hebrew in verse 1, the word rest has a deeper meaning, a sense of silence, waiting and expectation. It means also to place a confidence in God.

Quick Questions

  1. What is your favourite way to unwind?
  2. Does waiting stress you out?

1 comment:

  1. My favourite way to unwind is to go somewhere quiet and wild and beautiful.

    It's so true about coming to God. I've been reading a lot recently about having a childlike faith, and the ability that we have to just come to God and say I'm worried about this and this and this - please can you help me? It's great, but I so often forget to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...