Monday 19 August 2013

Lost keys

A few weeks ago I lost my keys. I was staying at my parents and needed my keys to get back into my house. I was leaving to go camping in a few days and still had to unpack from my previous trip. I felt stressed and losing my keys was the last thing I needed.


I looked everywhere. I search my room. I unpacked all my bags and repack them. I searched the bathroom. Then I ran downstairs to the living room, conservatory, dining room and kitchen. I ran back upstairs. I searched my room, again. I unpacked and repacked again. I ran downstairs. I searched everywhere. I lay on the floor to look under sofas or the piano. I took cushions off the chairs. I checked the fridge. I ran out to the car and checked there. I ran upstairs. I repeated the process.

All this time I was praying. I was praying frantically. "God, I could do with some help. God, you are good and your goodness will come in handy right now. God, please, please, please, please, please help me find my keys."

I ran back out to the car for the third or forth time. I was exhausted; I was sweating. I had text my parents asking them if they had seen them and they hadn't. I sat in the driver's seat and told God that I was giving up. Then I remembered the parable of the lost coin. Jesus compared heaven to a woman looking for a precious coin. And as she celebrated when she found it, heaven celebrates when someone puts their faith in Jesus.

I was challenged by this. If I prayed just as fervently and acted with as much energy for those who have not had the opportunity to know about Jesus as I did looking for those keys, what sort of impact would that make? My heart and mind was set on finding those keys; God's is set on finding those that are lost without Him.

God doesn't want us to tell people about him so He can feel good about how many fans He has. He doesn't want to make an evil army of cyborgs. The reason is simple: He wants us to be saved. Romans 10:13 tells us, "for, Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." Isn't that amazing? Everyone who asks God for salvation will be saved. But Romans 10 goes on:
How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can anyone preach unless they are sent?
God wants us to be proactive in joining Him in his story of salvation. It is through the church that God will let that good news of his salvation resound throughout the earth.

As for the keys: they were on the passenger seat next to me.

Quick Question

  1. What is the most expensive or precious thing you've ever lost?
  2. Did you ever find it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...