Thursday 30 June 2011

Strike!

Today, teachers across the country are going on strike. This is because the government has announced changes to the pension scheme, and means that teachers will end up paying more for less. Usually, I've not had to think much about it. First, I've never been a member of a Union, and I've never been in a workplace that has been affected by strikes before. As I work part-time in a Sixth-Form college, however, it has really made me think about the issues surrounding striking.

I would not have been able to strike, as I don't belong to any Union, and was worried that I'd have to cross the picket. Fortunately, though, I don't work there Thursdays, so I won't have to (although, I'll have to check that I don't get a day's pay deducted by people mistakenly thinking I'm on strike).

But it raises a number of questions. Should Christians go on strike? By breaching our contract are we going against our word. Or is this an issue of justice?

A good article on it can be found at The Urban Pastor's blog, here. Christians at Work provided some good advice too.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. There is a useful article on the ICF website

    http://www.icf-online.org/professions/strike.pdf

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...